Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Monday, January 25, 2010

Hutong Tour and pictures from yesterday
















Today was a very good day. All around. We ALL slept until 7 AM!! woot woot!
Today originally started out as a paperwork day. All day we were planning to just hang out at the hotel while my Mom, Dad, and Andrew went to the Civil Affairs office and the Public Bureau but due some issues we ended up going on the Hutong tour in Old Beijing City which was scheduled for tomorrow so we just flip flopped. (: The tour was absolutely amazing. We rode through all of it on a rickshaw. I rode with Madison and it was tons of fun. It was so cold you missed the 125 degree hotel. (It really does feel like it though!) There was a lot of cool information from the tour I found this really cool ::
The tour starts at Shishahai near the vegetable and fruit market. In the deepest of the hutong, they were taken to visit Prince Gong's Mansion, famous in the Qing Dynasty. In the past, princes', generals' and ministers' housed with courtyards were scattered around the outside of the Forbidden City. Linking up those courtyard houses were lanes and alleys called hutongs.
I thought it was SO cool!! It was tons of fun to just ride around. We rode through alleys and little towns. I never knew any of this existed in Beijing. I have always seen the beautiful almost candy-coated part of Beijing. What we saw today was the "real" part of Beijing where the heart of the people live. It was still beautiful. So much rich culture and things to explore there. More than you see on WangFuJing street where you are surrounded by shops (woo hoo) and fun things. We then went to a locals house. It was great too. She shared her life with us and her experiences. Oh and to those who are curious...The one child policy did not go into effect until the late 1970's. I thought that was cool too. The entire tour today was great. I love this place. LOVE IT! I love being able to walk up and down the busy streets and never feel any form of threat. The Hutong tour was so great!!! I enjoyed EVERY minute of it!! Oh and I love the fact that our backpack was still on the bus where I left it untouched! God is Good!!!
We went to lunch at an awesome restaurant that had the BEST food of anywhere we had been. We went back to the room and my Mom, Dad, Anna Grace, and Andrew went to do some more paperwork and Mema, Papa, Adam, Hayne, and I stayed back at the room and did make-up work (yay.)
Andrew continues to make amazing progress!
Here are some accomplishments::
• Slept ALL through the night
• Is beginning to speak some English
• Is answering to Andrew instead of only JianHui (Jen-Way)
• He is bonding to my Mom and Dad so well! He will let about anyone hold him but will in the end go to Mama or Baba!
• If you say "your-name kiss" he will kiss you make a MUAAAAHHH sound!! It is precious.
• He and Anna Grace are now able to share a bowl of Oatmeal!! That was huge for AG saying she didn't want to look at him at first!
• He thinks sunglasses are the best thing that hit the planet.
• He loves to put his hands together in a gun like "Charlie's Angels" It is hilarious. He also adds a "Pow..Pow!" to it! PRICELESS!
• Stickers R-O-C-K!
These are just a few things but as you can tell he is doing great and making some progress! We are so happy!!
Oh and his cleft lip/palate looks GREAT!! The surgeons did an amazing job and we are thanking God for that!!

I am becoming truly sad now. We are almost done with our time in Beijing. I am so sad. Beijing has been much more amazing than I ever expected it to be. It has so many amazing things to do that I never knew about. It shows how much you never realize. I could spend 6 months here and not get all of the touring and shopping in. I am going to try and enjoy every single minute left here and then in Guangzhou. I am going to miss this so much. Hoping and Praying these days go by slowly.

**Attached are pictures from Today and Yesterday. So Forbidden City and Hutong Tour.
Ashton

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to read your blog. You make it so interesting. I now I'm selfish but am so ready for you to come home. Have a great time. Nana

TanyaLea said...

Ashton, you are doing such a great job journaling your famiily's trip! I love the photos and hearing all about your experiences of the Chinese culture! I can't WAIT to experience it myself. Hopefully it won't be too much longer, as we got our LOA today!! Yippeee Jesus!

Treasure every moment and take in all that you can. And keep the great posts and photos coming...my excitement is building just following you!! :)

Hugs,
Tanya

Kristi said...

You guys are so much smarter than us. In October of 08 we had TWO two year olds and decided to save money at the Hutong village and walk instead of riding the rickshaw. Bad decision, bad, bad decision. Did I mention we only had one umbrella stroller?
Great photos!

Anonymous said...

Ashton,You have done a fantastic job with your family's journey.I'am so happy for your family and Andrew is precious.I think you should consider writting as a career.You are a very good writer.God Bless
Jodi's Aunt Betty

Anonymous said...

Great Pictures!!!! I love the last one!